birding-aus

The Atlas and Yet another listing app!

Subject: The Atlas and Yet another listing app!
From: Trevor Hampel <>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 21:01:27 +1030

On 17/10/2014 10:54 AM, Graeme Stevens wrote:

As a long term "Atlasser", I consider it would be a great shame indeed if the increasing volume of field work registered on e-bird and Eremaea did not contribute to what is now a long term and very rich database created over decades by dedicated "citizen scientists" and professional ornithologists. (the current Atlas registers 677,000 surveys covering 318,000 sites)
Hi everyone,

After a long debate with myself about what to do with my many thousands of bird records going back many years I have recently started entering my bird observations into E-bird. It clearly states on the site that all records feed into the Birdlife Australia Atlas Database:

/*Eremaea eBird feeds into the Birdlife Australia Atlas database and is used to help make conservation decisions for Australian birds. In this way any contribution made to eBird increases our understanding of the distribution, richness, and uniqueness of the biodiversity of our planet.

*/Mind you, the above quote took me a while to find, but there it is, so I am entering data as quickly as time and energy allows. In the early Australian Atlas days I contributed many hundreds of sheets but over the last decade that effort has dwindled to zero due to personal reasons.

It concerned me that all of my observations going back to the mid 1970s would languish unused on my computer database (Birdinfo). Ebird is my way of continuing to make a valuable contribution to conservation.

I hope that this helps to clarify the Atlas question regarding Ebird.

Trevor

--
Trevor Hampel,
Murray Bridge,