birding-aus

The ocean is dead; a yachtsman's tale

Subject: The ocean is dead; a yachtsman's tale
From: Andrew Hobbs <>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 08:34:09 +0800
It is not a lot of good blaming the politicians. We (collectively) get the politicians we (collectively) deserve. To a large extent they simply reflect community values. Sure, some, probably even a majority, are rather gullible and/or are not very good at critical appraisal of what is actually happening in the world, the looming crises. Education and publicity might help but I doubt it. I suspect a much more important reason is that most choose to ignore those problems. And I think they choose to ignore the situation because to admit it would mean that they would then have to do something about it, and that would threaten their comfortable way of life. As one person recently observed, "most people would be lining up to shovel baby fur seals into the furnace if it meant they could maintain their lifestyle just that little bit longer."

Andrew