birding-aus

The ocean is dead; a yachtsman's tale

To: "Prof Michael Tarburton" <>
Subject: The ocean is dead; a yachtsman's tale
From: Sonja Ross <>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 18:16:20 +1100
Hi all,

It's not just the Pacific either, unfortunately.   My husband and I visited
Svalbard in the Arctic on a trip last year, and I was saddened to see plastic
on some of the beaches there.  Someone in the group also saw plastic in a polar
bear scat, so it can also be an added hazard for an animal under pressure
already from the warmer climate.  Many sea birds also nest there, so it's
possible they could also be involved with dangers from the plastic rubbish.

Sonja