birding-aus

The ocean is dead; a yachtsman's tale

To: Graeme Stevens <>, Tim Jones <>, Andrew Hobbs <>
Subject: The ocean is dead; a yachtsman's tale
From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 02:01:21 +0930
Morning all

Population control is paramount to climate change.  But so is control of
consumption.  As people enter middle class they adopt an ever-increasing
desire for the trappings that signify their membership of this group.  They
have fewer children but they consume more meat and dairy products, and they
buy more imported goods, cars etc.   And millions more have adopted such a
life style over the past couple of decades.

People increasingly live in cities, and those cities are often constructed
for cars.  Take Palmerston near Darwin - there are whole suburbs without a
supermarket.  Public transport?  It doesn't really work well with low
density housing which is basically what exists in most of that fast-growing
city.     "5 km an hour" architecture?  I've not met one politician or
developer, indeed anyone else, who's even heard of it.

And on food security: a 1994 book "Who Will Feed China?" was an eye-opener
for me.  Where once our Asian neighbours such as Taiwan, Japan, South Korea,
and China, were self-sufficient in food, that is no longer the case, and a
major reason is that cities tend to be built on agricultural land.

Here in Australia the issue of food security often arises in the form of a
debate over agricultural land being sold to overseas interests.   However,
again a much bigger issue should be the amount of agricultural land being
swallowed up by development.  And the amount destroyed by overgrazing -
particularly problematic in times of drought - or by weeds such as Gamba
Grass.
Denise Lawungkurr Goodfellow
PO Box 71,  Darwin River,
NT 0841