birding-aus

Lyrebirds learning artificial sounds

To: "'Richard & Roz'" <>, <>
Subject: Lyrebirds learning artificial sounds
From: "Jon Irvine" <>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 12:31:50 +1100
Hi Richard,

Unfortunately I do not have a recording but one of my first acquaintances
with a Superb Lyrebird in the Blue Mountains (I think it was 1995) turned
out to be quite an extraordinary one. I was walking with my work colleague
on the Ruined Castle Track out of Katoomba and we heard the sound of a
helicopter further along the track. The noise was not coming from the sky
but a specific spot on the forest floor. On our approach the noise stopped
but I could hear the scraping of leaves followed by the typical mix of
lyrebird sounds. The bird did not make the helicopter noise again but I am
convinced that it was the bird that made it. What was extraordinary was that
both my colleague and I were first absolutely convinced that it was a
helicopter; the sound was so convincing that it even had a Doppler effect as
if the helicopter was flying overhead. We both perceived it coming from the
ground about 30 metres distant, at the exact spot that we later saw the
lyrebird.

This will surely put me in the same league as UFO chasers and alien
abductionists. But what are the other plausible explanations? It was
definitely not an actual helicopter with perhaps the geometry of the
landscape producing strange audio effects because the noise stopped dead, as
if a recording had suddenly been turned off. This leads me to the only other
plausible explanation I can think: that someone was in there with a
recording of a helicopter maybe actually trying to get the lyrebird to mimic
it!!!

Cheers,

Jon Irvine