birding-aus

Lyrebirds learning artificial sounds

To: "'Philip Veerman'" <>, "'Jon Irvine'" <>
Subject: Lyrebirds learning artificial sounds
From: "Steve" <>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 11:10:50 +1000
Of course the machine that lyrebirds would most commonly hear is the motor
car. The very first time I managed to sneak up on a displaying lyrebird was
over 35 years ago near the top of Lady Carrington Drive (close to the main
road) in the Royal National Park. Although it was a long time ago I have a
clear recollection of hearing car sounds from the bird. What struck me most
was the incorporation of the Doppler effect (High pitched then low) just
like Jon Irvine's helicopter bird!
Steve Murray