birding-aus

Bird list database

To: 'Lawrie Conole' <>, Birding Aus <>
Subject: Bird list database
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 10:18:59 +1100
 wrote on Thursday, 9 October 2008 9:59 AM:

>> I initially looked for a database program but then came across an
>> online application, Eremaea Birds - www.eremaea.com, which I
> use for my
> recordings.
>> There are several benefits to the online application, first it is
>> free! Secondly it means that you can access your sightings from
>> anywhere.
>
> Ahem ... anywhere you have a connection to the 'net!  This
> seems to me to be a major drawback with any of the web-based
> birding databases - designed for dude holidays where there
> are 'net cafes on every corner!!

Very true.  Doesn't worry me (neither remote area access nor being a dude), as
I enter the data later when I get home (often much later!).  I believe you can
upload prepared data to it, but I haven't tried it and I'm not sure how easy
that is.

>> Also
>> because quite a number of people use the application, there is loads
>> of information on sightings and locations that you can access.
>
> That's true, but it's why I see Eremaea Birds as an excellent
> companion to a standalone program.  As I've said many times
> before, I use BirdInfo, a local
> (Canberra-based) app with lots of great features.  It is not
> pretty and there is a steepish learning curve, and it's a PC
> only app, but I've used it for about 15 years now & it's
> still a very useful tool that I refer to a few times a week.
> I can use it on a laptop in the middle of nowhere.  It is
> really cheap by UK standards.  Find it here
> http://www.netspeed.com.au/birds/birdinfo/ - perhaps the one
> drawback is that it looks like Simon has effectively stopped
> developing it, but the current version offers various
> user-defined mod's, and will run +/- for ever (I hope).

That's always a potential problem, and one that can equally apply to a web
site.  Maybe more so, as a web site can go offline should the owner decide to
discontinue it.  I guess the lesson is to make sure that whatever you use, that
you keep backups.  Eremaea allows you to dump your data to your computer, and I
guess BirdInfo probably does too.

Are you able to adjust the taxonomy of BirdInfo yourself if necessary, or does
Simon have to do that?

Peter Shute