birding-aus

around the UQ lakes

To: "Scot Mcphee" <>, "Peter Kyne" <>
Subject: around the UQ lakes
From: "Chris Corben" <>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 18:09:03 +1000
Gooday all

Very interested to hear about birds on the UQ campus. It used to be a great place for birds. In my first years there (1971,2) I had about 130 species on the campus, including White-backed Swallows ( a regular nesting species on the campus), Little Bittern and even a Little Whimbrel. And several Bush Stone Curlews.

Scot: I really think you should take a closer look at your Spotless Crakes. What you are describing sounds nothing at all like Spotless Crake. To see 20 in one place would be an exceptional event! Normally they are very secretive, much more likely to be heard than seen. Although it is possible to get very good views if you sit quietly in a place where they emerge from the dense vegetation, it is much more common to see them in the distance and have them duck back into the reeds before you get close. On the face of it, baby Moorhens would seem a much more likely option.

Cheers, Chris.

Chris Corben

www.hoarybat.com