birding-aus

around the UQ lakes

To: <>, "Scot Mcphee" <>
Subject: around the UQ lakes
From: "Greg" <>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 09:38:44 +1000
The Bush Stone-Curlew is also very rare on the NSW North Coast but there has been an increasing number of records in recent years. This may be due to the expansion of the human population into their areas or a greater awareness of the species. Recently one turned up in the main street of Grafton. It was at the quiet, river end so was left there and monitored. When the danger from motor vehicles became too great it was caught and I banded it with a numbered band and an alpha-numeric colour band (white). It was released on the nearby Susan Island, where the species had recently been heard calling. Recently there were single birds at Wooli and Yamba and a few years ago one frequented the Coffs Harbour crematorium. This bird may have originated from the Coffs Harbour Zoo, where they bred. I also heard a pair at night at Gurranang a few weeks back. There are still many foxes in our area but these record show that there is still a population, possibly a precarious one, in our area. Most of the individual records in towns and villages were of birds attacking or admiring their images in large glass windows or doors.

Greg Clancy