birding-aus

around the UQ lakes

To: <>, "Scot Mcphee" <>
Subject: around the UQ lakes
From: "Bob Moffatt" <>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 09:46:31 +1000
Craig,
There is an increasing population in northern NSW based in the Tweed and extending south. My thoughts are that the Qld birds may be more resiliant/robust (not in stature) and expel potential predators better than those birds which have succumbed to predation in the past in NSW (??). I was surprised just how agressive the display of a pair of nesting birds became when I approached to within 15m (they bluffed me!). Thus the northern birds are (expanding their population and) extending their range southward. Maybe Qld birds are subtly different to the southern population (?) and have developed behavioural characteristics that allow them to persist better than a former population (?).

Would be intersted to read other folks thoughts on this interesting phenomenon.

Bob