birding-aus

Ringtail calls

To: Alan Gillanders <>, Evan Beaver <>, Greg <>
Subject: Ringtail calls
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 18:14:10 +1000
As it is not immediately apparent from the context of Alan's posting below,
may I point out that my reference to a possum eating stinger leaves, was to
the common ringtail, Pseudocheirus peregrinus, widespread down eastern
Australia to Tasmania and also S W Western Australia.

Alan's Green Ringtail, P. archeri, for those not familiar with our possum
fauna, is something very special indeed.  Confined to a relatively small
region of north Queensland.  It really does look green - as a result of a
mixture of grey, black, yellow and white hairs.

It does not hide away during the day as do other possums - mostly just curls
up in a ball on a bare branch.

I was told by a scientist working on N Q possums some 40 years ago, that the
Green Ringtail is the most docile of all.  Freshly trapped in the wild, it
can be handled quite easily.  I never had the experience myself.

The Aus. Museum's mammal book says the Green Possum eats (among other
things), the leaves of several species of fig trees, and "is the only only
possum known to eat them".  But according to O'Reilly's (tourist resort
people in Lamington N P) the common ringtail is very fond of the stalks of
fig leaves.   And certainly it is a common sight in Lamington NP to see the
ground under a fig tree littered with fresh leaves all with the stalk
missing.  Comment anyone?

Syd