birding-aus

Ringtail calls

To: Evan Beaver <>, Greg <>
Subject: Ringtail calls
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 21:52:05 +1000
For what it's worth:

>From the Australian Museum's "Complete Book of Australian Mammals" :

    "Although not as noisy as the Common Brushtail, it is a vocal animal and
its presence is often first detected by its soft, high-pitched twittering
call."

BTW, I was once asked by a zoologist friend who had been out spotlighting,
to go with him and witness (lest he be disbelieved) a ringtail dining
happily on the leaves of a young Giant Stinging Tree (Dendrocnide excelsa).

  For those who have not had the experience, the slightest brush with a leaf
of that tree causes severe pain that lasts for days in humans.  I can but
guess that the tree's defence and the possum's tolerance thereto, evolved in
parallel.

Cheers

Syd