birding-aus

Green Ringtails [was ' Ringtail calls']

To: "Syd Curtis" <>, "Evan Beaver" <>, "Greg" <>
Subject: Green Ringtails [was ' Ringtail calls']
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 09:27:44 +1000
Greetings,
I have added Mammals Aus to this thread as some there may find it of interest. Those coming late to this topic may want to read the emails below about the feeding habits of ringtail possums.

With regards to handling wild Green Ringtails it is true that they do not bite. However they will try to get away and one may be scratched in the process. The fur is incredibly thick. the first time I held one it just walked out of my grip. I had to add another two layers of pressure before the animal was constrained. The yellow or caramel hairs are just that colour on the tips. They are also a little longer than the other hairs, twisted and somewhat reflective. This adds to their green appearance. Some animals look more green than others and young ones generally appear the most green.

They eat a lot of fig leaves and during the 2001 -2002 drought started to eat the green fruit of Ficus copiousa at the site where I do my nocturnal tours. The trees were almost leafless from water stress but went into fruit anyway. Other fruit they ate were unripe and nasty in some way for most frugivores: Euroschinus falcata and Brachychiton acerifolius. Now they have moved on to eating the ripefruit of this fig as well and on Wednesday night I saw for the first time, two eating the ripe fruit of Ficus leptoclada. The leaves of this species are a particular favourite.

Regards,
Alan