birding-aus

Percentage of birders in Australia - and feeding

To: "michael norris" <>, "Trevor Hampel" <>, "Dave Torr" <>
Subject: Percentage of birders in Australia - and feeding
From: "Greg" <>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 13:25:38 +1100
Hi Michael,

The issue of feeding Australian birds has been dealt with ad nauseum on Birding-aus so I don't want to stir up a hornet's nest (or is it wasp's nest in Australia) but the following points are pertinent:

objections to feeding birds are not solely based on environmentalists' wild claims - there is a strong view within the scientific community that the disadvantages outweigh the advantages;

there may be a greater case for feeding birds in the UK and the US where extreme winters occur and natural habitat has, in many cases, been lost;

despite pleas, recommendations, requests etc. some people will continue to feed Australian birds.

Barbara Salter's wonderful book is in my library but I would hope that the work that she pioneered has advanced now to the stage where some of the practices of earlier decades are now seen as inappropriate.

Greg Clancy