birding-aus

night parrot story

To: "Cas and Lisa Liber" <>
Subject: night parrot story
From: "Dave Torr" <>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 10:33:02 +1100
Whatever the figure I suspect it is pretty low %age by comparison with some
countries - in the UK for example (pop around 60m) the RSPB has around 1
million members - now of course not all members are birdwatchers and not all
birdwatchers are members, but by comparison I believe the combined
membership of the two main clubs in Australia (pop around 20m) to be around
10,000, and of course many people belong to both!

Which leads also to ask how many "Grey-headed Lapwings" or equivalents turn
up here unnoticed - I suspect a vagrant has very little chance of escaping
detection in the UK compared to here, where vast areas of the country are
rarely observed.