birding-aus

RE: Swarovski vs Leica

Subject: RE: Swarovski vs Leica
From: "Frank O'Connor" <>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:08:13 +0800

I would make the choice based on some of the following factors : (this includes Zeiss)

Weight - The old Leica are too heavy but the new model is much better

Neckstrap - The old Leica strap was attrocious. I bought the wider strap but this is another $80 or so. I can't believe that binoculars of such quality could come with such a narrow uncomfortable strap. Maybe try the new types of harnesses.

Minimum focal distance - 6 metres is far too long. The closer the better. I don't know about you, but there are quite a few times when I am too close to what I am looking at. This applies to more than just birds. Often I want to look at reptiles only two or three metres away.

Bad light - Try using them in a dark room (not pitch black!), or after sunset but before total darkness. I am amazed at the dark conditions that I can use my binoculars.

Eye pieces - How easy are the eye pieces to pull out and retract. I find that mine stick quite badly. Not a problem if you wear spectacles as you would never need to pull them out.

X Factor - Not sure what others meant by this. I was recently on a trip to the sub Antarctic islands. I have never seen so many Swarovski or Leica binoculars in one place. Not many Zeiss. These are mostly very keen birders on these trips. Most people were from Europe.

Price - You buy binoculars for a long time. So the price would have to be quite different for this to be the most important factor.

Having said that, I have 10x42BN Leica binoculars that I bought about 5 years ago. But I got a good deal at the Johannesburg airport on my way to Kenya. About 5500 Rand or about AU$1250 at the time. I paid about $80 import duty when I declared them on returning to Australia. This compared to about $2400 in Australia at the time. I have been through Johannesburg airport again and they were about 11000 Rand.

If I was to choose again today, I would probably be leaning towards Swarovski, but I haven't done the tests above.