birding-aus

Pied Oyster Catchers

To: <>
Subject: Pied Oyster Catchers
From: "Belles" <>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 19:44:20 +1100
Hi
I just wanted to share with you all. I had to rescue a little chick from one
of our local Vets. A passer-by had picked the chick up after the parents -
Pied Oystercaters had crossed over the Princes Hwy and lost one of their 2
chicks. So they dropped it to the nearest Vet. When I picked the chick up I
said it looks like a Plover chick. I got the chick settled into a hospital
box with a little food and water. I got onto a friend who knows a lot about
water/sea birds. He said it would have stripes on it instead of spots like
the Plover chicks do. He phoned SOSSA for some more info. The chick was
31gms and very chirpy.
I decided that if it was alive by morning I would try to find parent birds.
The Pied Oystercatcher is on the vulnerable list. It took me over an hour
searching the beach where they nested, I decided to go over the Princes
Highway to some of the other little beaches and Ifound them picking around
the oyster beads. I put the chirping chick out behind my car and they came
running. I opened the basket and they took the little chick with them. It
was wonderful to see and one adult put the chick under it's wing and jumped
down to the oyster beads.
I went back the next day and a few days after that and they didn't have the
chick with them. Would any of you know whether they would put the chick
somewhere to hide and pick the chick up later??

Marian
wildlife carer

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html