birding-aus

Bower Birds

Subject: Bower Birds
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 13:43:06 +1000
Hello,

My name is Rachel, I have just joined the list today. I just have a question, about 5 months ago I bought a property up at Tanjil Bren (Mt. Baw Baw), the first morning I stayed up there I walked outside and waiting on my front steps for breakfast was a beautiful Satin Bower bird, I was just amazed and I gathered that the previous owners must of fed the bird as I could just about hand feed it and it was coming within a foot of where I was sitting. So the past 5 months this has become a regular thing and now I even have the female bower birds coming in also. Ok, my problem is that I really need to clear some of the land, not the trees but the old dead blackberries and just what is on the ground but now I am freaking out thinking I might destroy the bower birds nest so I have put the cleaning up off for the past few months but now it's getting fire and snake season I really want to get things cleaned up around my house. Can anyone here tell me how to find a bower birds nest? or any other tips for clearing the land and not disrupting the bower birds environment? The birds are my number 1 priority but I am not even sure that their nest is in my yard as I have state forest on 3 sides of my house. Also when is breeding season for the bower bird?

Kind Regards,
Rachel O'Neill.