birding-aus

Port Fairy Pelagic Report for 3 October 2004

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: Port Fairy Pelagic Report for 3 October 2004
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 13:44:40 -0700

BA-VIC Victorian Pelagics

OBSERVERS: Chris Lester (organiser), George Appleby, Rob Berry, Peter Crabtree, Gail D’Alton, Brian Johnson, Rosemary Lester, Frank Pierce, Don Saunders, Ray Schultz, Christine Simons, David Stickney, & Mike Carter (leader).

WEATHER: An anticyclone of 1021 hp was centred over the Bight off S.A., whilst a cold front was approaching from the west. Thus initially we had light (5 Kt) SW winds inshore. Wind speed increased rapidly as we travelled offshore. The wind veered to the W and reached 20 Kts by the late afternoon. It was cold but fine, with partially cloudy skies and a few distant showers, although generally bright with sunny periods and excellent visibility.

SEA: Slight, (< 0.5 m waves) on a low (0.5 m) swell inshore at first but as we moved offshore it became rougher, the sea quickly rising through choppy on a building roll until in pelagic waters we had a moderate sea (1.5 m waves) on a 4.0 m swell. The swell eased as we came in and had dropped to 1.5 m from LJPI into PF but the sea remained moderate at 1.5 m. So the rather benign beginning became somewhat uncomfortable. We were tossed around a bit as we drifted while berleying beyond the shelf and more violently as we came in. We were drenched with spray but in spite of these conditions, no one was sick.

ACTIVITY: Sailed from Port Fairy (38º23’18”S 142º14’30”E) at 07.05. We went out on our usual course of 203º at 12.7 Kts. Inshore we encountered a scattering of albatrosses but little other bird activity. About 9 Nm out we had brief views of a Sperm Whale. At 09.30, just inside the shelf break at the 80-fathom mark, we encountered a huge concentration of feeding Short-tailed Shearwaters, a few Fairy Prions and a scattering of other species. Four hours later whilst coming in, at the same depth but over 6 Nm (11 km) further west (38º43’S 141º50.1’E), we again crossed this band of feeding shearwaters and prions. They were massed as far as the eye could see. Shearwater numbers may have approached 1,000,000! Between 10.00 and 13.30 beyond the shelf-break, we stopped at each of three locations (38º49.5’S 141º53.5’E @ 255 fathoms, 38º52.0’S 141º50.2’E @ 348 fathoms & 38º50.1’S 141º45.8’E @ 374 fathoms) to berley for between 30 and 45 minutes. We came in at 13 Kts via Lady Julia Percy Island (LJPI) where we cruised slowly off the W & N shores from 15.10 to 15.30. Docked at 16.35.

MAMMALS: One SPERM WHALE at 07.50 at 38º30.64’S 142º09.7’E in 27 fathoms, shallow for these beasts. It issued a low (2-3 m), bushy, angled blow twice in quick succession and the rounded snout was raised briefly. No dorsal fin. We moved some 300 m to investigate and found the large smooth patch of sea where it had surfaced. We stayed in the vicinity for 15 minutes but saw no more sign of it. Common Dolphins: >150 in two pods. The first 100 were at 09.00 at 38º40.47’S 142º01.23’E and the remainder about 15 minutes later some 3 Nm to the SW. Australian Fur Seals: >3,000 at LJPI and 2 or 3 at sea elsewhere.

BIRDS: 21 species (23 taxa) of seabird observed beyond the river mouth indicated about average diversity. Highlights are indicated. Unless noted otherwise, those listed below were near or beyond the shelf break (i.e. pelagic). Notable absences included Little Penguin, Flesh-footed & Fluttering Shearwater.

Common Diving-Petrel: 1 offshore.

S. Giant Petrel:  1 inshore.

Giant Petrel spp.: 1 inshore.

Cape Petrel: 2 (2) (followed us in to LJPI).

Great-winged Petrel: c. 60 (40) nominate race, (one possible gouldi).  Although

all initially pelagic, some followed us in to LJPI attracted by our slopping berley.

Fairy Prion: 130 (20). c.130 offshore & 4 pelagic.

Sooty Shearwater: 3 (1).

Short-tailed Shearwater: > 100,000. Only 1 inshore & 3 pelagic.

HUTTON’S SHEARWATER: 1 offshore.

Wandering Albatross exulans: 5. 3 stage 4 (2 very vermiculated) & 2 juvs.

ROYAL ALBATROSS SOUTHERN: 2 (1) adults, excellent close views.

ROYAL ALBATROSS NORTHERN: 1 distant.

Black-browed Albatross melanophrys: 60 (20). 12 inshore, 8 off & 40

pelagic (some followed us in to LJPI),  5 ads, 40 sub-ads, 15 juv.

Black-browed Albatross impavida: 1 sub-ad.

Shy Albatross cauta: 130 (40). 30 inshore, 30 off & 70 pelagic (some followed us

in to LJPI). 110 adults, 18 sub-adults, 2 juvs.

Yellow-nosed Albatross: 17 (4). 3 inshore, 7 offshore, 7 pelagic; 4 ads, 10 sub-ads, 3 juvs.

Wilson’s Storm-Petrel: 20 (10).

GREY-BACKED STORM-PETREL: 10 (4).

White-faced Storm-Petrel: 9 (6).

Australasian Gannet: c.45 (30). 10 inshore & 35 offshore.

Black-faced Cormorant: 1 juv. on LJPI.

Kelp Gull: 7 adults on LJPI.

Silver Gull: 1 on LJPI.

Crested Tern: 2 (1), inshore.