birding-aus

wedgetail jail and fine

To: <>
Subject: wedgetail jail and fine
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2018 16:52:13 +1000
It is great that this event has been taken up and prosecuted. So at least
things have improved. As recently as the 1970s many eagles were shot and the
remains would be tied up on fences along roads. In some grotesque display of
bravado maybe or even more dumb, a weird idea that eagles would see these as
a warning and vacate the area. Even under long and heavy such persecution
the species remained in reasonably strong numbers overall. What would also
be interesting to know is whether this mass killing of eagles had any
positive benefit whatever on lamb survival. I expect it had little if any
benefit. But the question is worth investigating. I assume that the poisoned
lambs were already dead...... To be honest I am surprised that one person
presumably in a limited are could be so destructive of a species like this
that presumably lives at a low population density.

Philip