birding-aus

Facebook Groups for birding - time for a rethink?

To: Steve Clark <>
Subject: Facebook Groups for birding - time for a rethink?
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2018 11:13:59 +0000
Over the years we’ve discussed alternatives to this mailing list here several
times. Facebook and birdforum were suggested, but people wanted to stick with
email. It seemed like any kind of login was too hard.

Then smart phones arrived, people drifted into Facebook for other reasons, then
suddenly it was the in thing for birding. It may be insecure, fragmented,
unsearchable and chaotic, but the numbers participating dwarf the membership of
this list. Good luck shifting them somewhere better.

To be fair, if one only used Facebook for bird stuff, there are limited
opportunities for personal data misuse. I was going to say the same about fake
news, but we had some spectacular examples of it early on.

Peter Shute

Sent from my iPad

> On 21 Mar 2018, at 9:10 am, Steve Clark <> wrote:
>
> G'day all
>
> Is it time the managers of the various Facebook birding groups sought
> alternatives?  I've never been comfortable with a Facebook account and only
> have one because of the need to be in touch via the birding groups.  With
> the recent scandal indicating high-level personal data misuse and targeted
> fake news I think Facebook is really on the nose.
>
> Maybe options such as www.simplybirding.com or www.birdforum.net are worth
> considering.
>
> Cheers
> Steve Clark