birding-aus

Re Banding trip to Buddigower Nature Reserve take 2

To: "martin cachard" <>, "Dr Mark Carey" <>, "geoff jones barra images" <>, <>
Subject: Re Banding trip to Buddigower Nature Reserve take 2
From: "Greg and Val Clancy" <>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 22:00:45 +1100
Hi all,

I have been banding birds since 1971 and as suggested I do think carefully about the pros and cons of this activity. I get sad when I see people suggesting that we know all that we need to know from banding when that is patently not the case. We have only scratched the surface when it comes to our understanding of Australia's birds and their movements. I am glad that people are compassionate enough to be concerned about the birds' welfare as this is paramount in my thoughts as well but please direct your concerns where they really need to be directed - at the people clearing natural ecosystems, at people shooting ducks for sport, at people who have cats and dogs that are allowed to roam and kill our wildlife etc.. I know that some people have witnessed accidents during banding activities and this has coloured their view for life but the rare case where a bird suffers from banding should not mean that it is not a legitimate and humane activity. I hold an animal care and ethics approval for my banding and I am held accountable for any losses. People who do not like birds being banded are entitled to their opinion but, like Martin, please find out all you can about the positives before condemning the people who are giving large amounts of their own time and money to research the birds so that they can be saved. The winter movement of birds such as Grey Fantails, Golden Whistlers, Striated Pardalotes and other species from Tasmania and southern Australia to the north coast of New South Wales and southern Queensland is only now being recognised. We need more banders to track these movements not less banding. Remember banders will only ever band a small percentage of the population of any species but that percentage can provide essential data that cannot be gathered by observation alone. It was banding that proved that the formerly recognised two species of Silvereye in south-eastern Australia were in fact the one species but one type was of Tasmanian origin and the other of local origin. My banding research on the Eastern Osprey, Black-necked Stork, Beach Stone-curlew and Australian Pied Oystercatcher and others has provided essential data required for the management of these threatened species. Banding is not the problem it is an important part of the solution.

Regards
Greg

Dr Greg. P. Clancy
Ecologist and Birding-wildlife Guide