birding-aus

Banding trip to Buddigower Nature Reserve

To: <>
Subject: Banding trip to Buddigower Nature Reserve
From: "Geoffrey Allan Jones" <>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 16:28:06 +1100
Gidday Everyone I do not comment very much on Birding-Aus these days as I
hate getting my head bit off but I am interested in the Banding of Birds
done recently by the Canberra bird banders. Can someone please explain to me
why there is a need to head off to one of our bush reserves and start
banding the local birds, what purpose in this day and age does it achieve
and who gave this group the authority to do this. If someone was staying and
constantly monitoring for a special purpose maybe I can deal with that, but
to go to a place and set up nets then go off and set up camp and leave the
nets unattended ( maybe a presumption on my part ) is just not responsible
at all and after the birds are banded what then? Is someone going to do
detailed research on them? In this day and age unless it is absolutely
necessary to save a species Bird Banding NEEDS TO STOP! Recently I have
personally seen a bird that had ceased to live because of being caught in a
mist net AND THAT IS ONE BIRD TO MANY!

Geoff Jones

Barra Imaging

---