birding-aus

GPS units

To: Laurie Knight <>
Subject: GPS units
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 18:30:24 +1100
How do find the topo maps, Laurie? What "scale" are they? I.e what map series
are they based on?

And do you think the touch screen is useful? I was thinking it would make
naming and searching for tracks and waypoints easier because typing would be
faster than the move and select method on the non touch models.

About turning it off to save the batteries, does that mean you have to start a
new track, say, after lunch?

I believe all the Garmins come with what they call "base maps", which I assume
are much less detailed than the topo maps. Can anyone tell me if these are
usable?

Peter Shute

Sent from my iPad

> On 13 Oct 2014, at 5:48 pm, "Laurie Knight" <> wrote:
>
> G’day Peter,
>
> I have a Garmin oregon 600t.  It works well and has the minimum sized screen
> you’d want to view Topo maps when you are bushwalking.  Mine came pre-loaded
> with Australian topo data and I have no problems using it in the rainforest.
> It runs on AA batteries -  I use rechargeable ones.  The trick with battery
> life is to turn it off properly when you aren’t using it.
>
> As for cost, you let your significant other know it is what you want for your
> birthday/Christmas present  ;)
>
> Regards, Laurie.
>

>> On 13 Oct 2014, at 2:08 pm, Peter Shute <> wrote:
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a good hand held GPS? I'm getting sick of using my
>> iPhone as a GPS, and I'd like something more robust and waterproof that
>> doesn't churn through the battery in a few hours.
>>
>> For some reason iPhones can't use the GPS unless the phone signal is
>> enabled, so in poor reception areas the battery drain is high. I'm told
>> they're fine if you pull the SIM out, but I'm not doing that.
>>
>> Initial research tells me that the Garmin eTrex 20 is the most popular non
>> touch screen model, and that the more expensize Garmin Oregon 600 is the
>> most popular touch screen model. Can anyone offer an opinion on these or
>> other models, and whether the touch screen is worth the reduced battery life?
>>
>> Peter Shute
>> <HR>
>> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
>> <BR>
>> <BR> To change settings or unsubscribe visit:
>> </HR>

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>