birding-aus

GPS units

To: brian fleming <>
Subject: GPS units
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 18:49:18 +1100
> On 13 Oct 2014, at 5:29 pm, "brian fleming" <> wrote:
>
> I have both around the house, but neither do what my old Garmin did -
> select either Lat/Long or Grid. All the maps I use have grids, and my
> main use was to identify  just which intersection I was at - if it was
> mapped! The Oregon is more complex so slower to use. If all you need is
> a location reference, the eTrex would be adequate - and none come with
> all the maps you might need.

According to this discussion, you can set the eTrex 20 to use grid coordinates,
Brian. I assume the Oregon 600 can do the same:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1991394

Does that do what you wanted, or is there a map reference type missing?

Regarding the Oregon being more complex, I had been wondering about that. I
know from my experience with a Blackberry phone before the iphone that buttons
are easier to use without having to watch carefully, but the Blackberry had a
lot of them, and the eTrex only has six. But I've used neither model, so I
don't know how much it matters in practice.

Peter Shute

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>