birding-aus

GPS units

Subject: GPS units
From: brian fleming <>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 16:01:50 +1100
On 13/10/2014 3:08 PM, Peter Shute wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good hand held GPS? I'm getting sick of using my iPhone
as a GPS, and I'd like something more robust and waterproof that doesn't churn
through the battery in a few hours.

For some reason iPhones can't use the GPS unless the phone signal is enabled,
so in poor reception areas the battery drain is high. I'm told they're fine if
you pull the SIM out, but I'm not doing that.

Initial research tells me that the Garmin eTrex 20 is the most popular non
touch screen model, and that the more expensize Garmin Oregon 600 is the most
popular touch screen model. Can anyone offer an opinion on these or other
models, and whether the touch screen is worth the reduced battery life?

Peter Shute
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>
</HR>

-----
No virus found in this message.
I have both around the house, but neither do what my old Garmin did - select either Lat/Long or Grid. All the maps I use have grids, and my main use was to identify just which intersection I was at - if it was mapped! The Oregon is more complex so slower to use. If all you need is a location reference, the eTrex would be adequate - and none come with all the maps you might need.

Brian Fleming - a believer in Keep It Simple Stupid.
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>