birding-aus

Banding trip to Buddigower Nature Reserve

To: Geoffrey Allan Jones <>
Subject: Banding trip to Buddigower Nature Reserve
From: Harvey Perkins <>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 19:25:21 +1100
Geoff

I respect your views, and will not even attempt to justify my differences
in opinion (which would likely have little impact on your position anyway),
but will make the following minimalist responses to some of your comments.

"*what purpose in this day and age does it achieve*"  -  a huge amount of
information on morphometrics, breeding biology, life history and longevity
etc is generated from bird banding and is still relevant in this day and
age.

"*who gave this group the authority to do this*"  -  we are all licenced
banders, through the national Australian Bird and Bat Banding Scheme,
administered through the Department of Environment. The project is fully
authorised, requires an annual report to be submitted each year and,
together with the Charcoal Tank banding site has been ongoing for over 30
years, providing one of the longest continuous bird monitoring studies in
the country.

"*to go to a place and set up nets then go off and set up camp and leave
the nets unattended is just not responsible at all*" - After erecting the
nets they were left furled, not open, when we went back to set up camp.
Nets are never left open and unattended, but are checked at roughly 30
minute intervals.

Harvey Perkins
Canberra

On 13 October 2014 16:28, Geoffrey Allan Jones <>
wrote:

> Gidday Everyone I do not comment very much on Birding-Aus these days as I
> hate getting my head bit off but I am interested in the Banding of Birds
> done recently by the Canberra bird banders. Can someone please explain to
> me
> why there is a need to head off to one of our bush reserves and start
> banding the local birds, what purpose in this day and age does it achieve
> and who gave this group the authority to do this. If someone was staying
> and
> constantly monitoring for a special purpose maybe I can deal with that, but
> to go to a place and set up nets then go off and set up camp and leave the
> nets unattended ( maybe a presumption on my part ) is just not responsible
> at all and after the birds are banded what then? Is someone going to do
> detailed research on them? In this day and age unless it is absolutely
> necessary to save a species Bird Banding NEEDS TO STOP! Recently I have
> personally seen a bird that had ceased to live because of being caught in a
> mist net AND THAT IS ONE BIRD TO MANY!
>
> Geoff Jones
>
> Barra Imaging
>

> ---