birding-aus

Reluctant lister reports in

To: "Peter Shute" <>, "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Reluctant lister reports in
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 16:51:17 +1000
Peter Shute said, "Alan, if you've reached over 700 without "twitching", have you ever calculated how many more you might have seen if you did?"

It is very hard to calculate because if I had 'twitched' more I may not have had the funds to travel as much as I have. I know I could have easily added Isabellene Wheatear to the list and the gull, whatever it turned out to be, from Cooktown. It has taken me more than three decades to build this list and most birds I have seen multiple times and often in a variety of locations. This all adds to the richness of the experience for me but I have stopped taking copious notes as I have not been using them and find them hard to access. It seems strange that now the technology exists for making them accessable I've given up the habit but I'd rather be out birding (or drinking and telling lies with my birding friends).

Regards,
Alan

Alan's Wildlife Tours
2 Mather Road