birding-aus

Reluctant lister reports in

To: "Kev Lobotomi" <>, "Philip Veerman" <>, "'Gary Davidson'" <>, "'birding-aus'" <>
Subject: Reluctant lister reports in
From: "Julian Bielewicz" <>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 05:06:00 +1000
Greetings All

Like Kev I also religiously keep Year Lists and for more or less the same reasons as quoted by Kev.

Since acquiring the "Bird Journal" [Bluebird Technologies, UK] this has become a piece of cake; the program does it all for me. Further, I now have the facility to keep Month Lists which allows me to compare species presence and abundance between months in a given year or totals for one specific month over several years. I can do this either in general over some 300+ locations worldwide or in any particular location.

Unlike Gary [Canada] I am no whiz at spreadsheets [my high school Maths teacher once referred to me as a waste of taxpayers money when it came to this subject] but the above-mentioned program [to which I have no financial link other than having paid for my copy] provides the facilities to produce a number of graphs.

For example, in the 13 years [2001 - current] Fay and I have kept local bird records, the graphs show some interesting patterns and trends among the birds of the South Burnett region [some three hours, by car, NW of Brisbane].

And like Philip I also keep copious notes about these observations and will - when I REALLY retire at the end of 2014- start to put them together for possible publication in SUNBIRD, etc.

Birders are surely almost as varied as the total birding population and there will always be a wide variances in their approach to the pastime.

Cheers

Julian