birding-aus

Volunteers needed for Western Ground Parrot surveys

To: 'Frank O'Connor' <>, "" <>
Subject: Volunteers needed for Western Ground Parrot surveys
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 07:45:55 +1000
This is the text that was removed from Frank's message of 7/8/14:

See the announcement from the Friends of the WGP below.

This could be the means of you seeing a WGP, and helping to monitor the
species.  Note that you would need to make your own way to Esperance
(for the Cape Arid surveys).  You would need to participate in the
full week.  You do need reasonable hearing.  You are sent to
specified monitoring points (with the aid of a supplied GPS) where you
stand from an hour before dawn until dawn, and from sunset until an hour
later recording the calls, direction and time that you hear.

Definitely no guarantee of seeing one.  I spent a week at Cape Arid
in April last year, and saw one in the last light fly along a ridge
during the final evening survey.  We heard them on most
surveys.  I have done many surveys in the past without seeing one,
but hearing several.

You would probably need to bring your own camping gear, but they might be
able to provide it locally.  You are bush camping with no
facilities.

No problems with food.  They provide wonderful meals.

I was fortunate in April last year that other DPaW staff were conducting
their Western Shield monitoring, and so after the morning WGP survey we
accompanied them as they checked their pitfall, Elliott and cage
traps.  We saw several great species of mammals and a few
reptiles.  Don't know if you would be lucky this year.

Note that the Perth Zoo has very recently announced that it will be
taking over the captive breeding program with support from DPaW and the
Friends of the WGP.  They currently have 7 birds that were in
Albany.  I believe they will need more birds to make it successful,
so it is possible that they might try to catch one or two more.
Probably not, as it might be the wrong time of year (having just bred but
it might give them the opportunity to catch some juveniles to add to the
program).

Even if you can't participate, the Friends of the WGP would appreciate
your support.  They are at the forefront of trying to conserve what
is probably  the second most threatened bird species in Australia
(behind the OBP although the WGP is not much better off).  Become a
friend!