birding-aus

Reluctant lister reports in

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Reluctant lister reports in
From: Gary Davidson <>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 10:39:31 -0700
Hi Alan,
So you have passed 700, congrats! I recall a conversation we had last year
during my most recent visit to Australia, when you said you don't keep lists.
But clearly you have the records to produce one. So I got to wondering what is
a "lister"? The image that immediately springs to mind is the birder who is
constantly twitching rare birds and devoting his life to "expanding the list".
If that is the case, then neither you nor I are listers. But I do keep lists. I
think it might be my methodical, mathematical background that drives me to
creating spreadsheets for everything imagineable. So I have several spreadsheet
devoted to my bird sightings in various geographical locations. I can find out
almost instantly that my Australian list stands at 571, (probably a pretty good
total for a non-resident), my Africa list at 508, my UK list at 149 and my ABA
list at 651, etc. But I don't very often go chasing rare species; my lists are
what they are because I
 keep track of what I see whereever I am. So, does that make me a lister? I
don't know! But I'm keeping my spreadsheets, and as I travel around those
numbers will grow, and I'll always know where I stand. Perhaps I'll just call
myself a "spreadsheet birder".
Gary Davidson,
Nakusp, BC
Canada