birding-aus

Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update
Date: 29 Apr 2013 01:31:48 +1000

Birdline North Queensland

Published sightings for the week ending 28 Apr 2013.

Sun 28 Apr Red-kneed Dotterel, Black-throated Finch Old Flinders Hwy, Woodstock to Ross River Dam
Red-kneed Dotterel (15) in ponded pasture - largest number I have seen Black-throated Finch a small flock on ground near Stillwater, at least 12 individuals. Greatest number I have seen.
Alexandra Canton

Fri 26 Apr Caspian Tern Cattana Wetland, Smithfield, Cairns
Partly overcast, light wind single bird fishing. (Moderator Note: In 86 lists for this site this is the first record of this species, which is reasonable common in the area along the coast which is only a few kilometers away).
Ian Cowan

Sat 20 Apr Long-tailed Koel (Eudynamys taitensis) Morris Creek Road SE 1' Cell
Survey of wetlands to east of Morris Creek Road, slightly difficult because of tall grass growth now. Only birds in closest water and along edge able to be seen. wetlands drying. Grasslands surrounding the wetlands and nearby small patch of woodland viewed from road. I had a brief and frustrating sighting of a suspected Long-tailed Koel near the woodlands (sitting on a farm gate). The principal evidence was its extremely long and thin tail (longer than the body) and its much slimmer profile than either female Coucal or Koel. I did consider female Eastern Koel but the striped head was not right for the Koel as well as vertical stripes on the breast. It was generally much duller overall than female Eastern Koels. However, as the time I had to look at it was so limited I have to retain some uncertainty despite my confidence. I reviewed the identification at the site with my field guide (in the vehicle with me). Unfortunately I was by myself. I thought the relatively short sighting and lack of corroboration (photo or second observer) would mitigate against a BARC report so have not considered it but I feel a heads up to NQ birders would be worthwhile as if it is a Long-tailed Koel then it is likely to be heading north! Long-tailed Koel (1) see notes in (Full List) for more detail about this possible sighting. [Thanks for the report Peter - it would be great to get a confirmation report. TD]
Peter Valentine

Thu 18 Apr Superb Fruit-Dove Michaelmas Cay
Juvenile male which flew from the coast out to sea to land on the Ocean Spirit (tour boat) at Michaelmas Cay some 18Km from Cairns. Sighted by resident naturalist on board the boat. Normally a rainforest bird not a seabird - unusual location.
David O'Brien via Keith Fisher

Birdline North Queensland is sponsored by BirdLife Northern Queensland and BirdLife Townsville and hosted by Eremaea Birds.