birding-aus

Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update
Date: 25 Feb 2013 01:31:43 +1000

Birdline North Queensland

Published sightings for the week ending 24 Feb 2013.

Sat 23 Feb Freckled Duck Hasties Swamp National Park
Freckled Duck (2) 2 birds, resting on logs above the waterline. Visable on left hand side of bird hide in location usually occupied by Whistling-Ducks. Survey to find the Freckled Duck here as advised by Alan Gillanders. Photo for ID.
George and Teresa Baker

Fri 22 Feb Buff-breasted Paradise Kingfisher Jourama Falls
Buff-breasted Paradise Kingfisher spotted deep in creek forest near falls parking area 9am today. First one I've seen at this site. Poor picture shows tail streamers intact.
Tony Ashton

Thu 21 Feb Australian Swiftlet, Fork-tailed Swift, White-throated Needletail, Budgerigar Toolakea, Townsville
Mixed group of Australian Swiftlets (1000) Fork-tailed Swifts (500) and approx 4 White-throated Needletails heading north 8:00-8:45am Budgerigar (50) A group of 30 and then 20 arrived from north settling in casaurina next to beach. 7.30am. Later split into two groups heading south. Another group (or the same group?) seen at Saunders Beach (3 km SE of Toolakea) later in morning (9:30am)
Joan Wharton (1757), Rosemary Payet

Orange-footed Scrubfowl Cairns Esplanade
Orange-footed Scrubfowl (1). I have not seen this species on the Esplanade before. Corner of Minnie Street and Esplanade, Cairns. Photo taken.
Norton Gill

Tue 19 Feb Black Bittern, Azure Kingfisher, Nankeen Night-Heron, Buff-banded Rail Masters Road (Trebonne Creek bridge), Toobanna
Black Bittern (2), Azure Kingfisher (1) and Nankeen Night-Heron (4) seen from the bridge at Trebonne Creek crossing. We didn't even have to get out of the vehicle. A little further down the road a Buff-banded Rail approached very close to our vehicle, seemingly without fear. (Trebonne Creek crossing is about 1.8km east from Bruce Highway. GPS Cordinates: - 18°42'48"S, 146°09'52"E)
Ian Boyd, Marleen Acton and Norm Rains

Fork-tailed Swift, White-throated Needletail Shannonvale
Fork-tailed Swift - Huge mixed flock of White-throated Needletail and Fork-tailed Swift numbering several hundred birds.
Doug Herrington

Birdline North Queensland is sponsored by BirdLife Northern Queensland and BirdLife Townsville and hosted by Eremaea Birds.