birding-aus

Can I tick these birds?

To: "" <>
Subject: Can I tick these birds?
From: Koren Mitchell <>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 13:12:50 +1000
I know, I know, always a question that provokes discussion, but I thought I'd
ask anyway. Not wanting to argue, just interested in people's opinions.

I'm currently in Wellington and just got back from a trip to Zealandia
sanctuary. This is a place on the outskirts of Wellington where they have built
a predator-proof fence and reintroduced some of the species that were
originally there, as well as a couple from other parts of the country. These
birds are free-flying (apart from the takahe which is flightless) and most have
now been breeding in the sanctuary for between 5 and 10 years.

So, can I legitimately count on my life list the birds that I saw in the
sanctuary (apart from the takahe which I wouldn't count as it is definitely 'in
captivity')? Is seeing the birds in this sanctuary any different from going to
Kapiti Island, where many of the same birds have been reintroduced?

Regards, Koren

Koren Mitchell
Sent from my iPad