birding-aus

Re report of Glossy Ibis on Eremaea 's Central & Southern Queensland pag

Subject: Re report of Glossy Ibis on Eremaea 's Central & Southern Queensland page.
From: Chris Corben <>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 10:53:57 -0500
Brisbane is quite abnormal amongst cities of the world in having an exceptionally large area under the control of one council. In a more normal city, like Melbourne, each "suburb" has its own council. In practical terms, Fortitude Valley is to Brisbane as St Kilda is to Melbourne, yet politically, St Kilda is in a more similar position to Murrumba Downs than to Fortitude Valley. I doubt many would complain about St Kilda being spoken of as a suburb of Melbourne! So by common usage, I would argue that a suburb usually will have its own council.

So I will argue no crime was committed, and the author is to be commended for helping readers to understand what was meant.

Cheers, Chris.