birding-aus

Red Goshawk harrassment

Subject: Red Goshawk harrassment
From: Colin R <>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 14:19:21 +1000
Hi
Stu Warren and I visited the Red Goshawk site last winter, camping at
the caravan grounds 200 meters down the road. The lady at the reception
there offered us the information iummediately we asked - I guess they
have an interest in preserving the bird, if only from an on-going
financial angle.

I know the birds have nested at different sites over the years - last
year the nest was in the grounds, in fact almost above the house, of a
private property approx 100 meters off the road and in plain sight from
the road - once one knew where to look. The female was in attendance
over the two days we were there and the male returned on the second
morning with a Rainbow Lorikeet to feed her. She appeared to be sitting
on the nest most of the time, but I don't know if breeding was
successful.
We watched from the road until the owner came out and invited us in - to
within 50 meters of the tree - a move which had no detrimental effect on
the birds, considering that when the male returned he perched up in a
tree close to us and preened before sleeping off his obviously late
night...completly ignboring us - or the owner's dog who wandered out for
a scratch behind the ears.

The owner was very friendly, aware of what he had on his property and
related anecdotes regarding the birds hunting his chickens and perching
on his shed while his (the owner, not the bird's) family wandered around
the property. The owner or his wife appeared to be on site almost
continuously and definitely understood the importance of a Red Goshawk -
he had worked for the Parks and Wildlife dept at some stage in the past
and was quite knowledgable.

I am suprised that a number of people camped along the fence - its only
a short distance from the camp grounds and is a narrow rough edge to the
road, I can't imagine anyone staying there too long.
Its possible the birds had moved elsewhere, of course, and we're talking
about a different site altogether? This one just seems to have been too
'protected' to have offered opportunity to anyone wanting to cause harm
- intentionally or otherwise...

Cheers

Colin

--