birding-aus

Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest

To: <>
Subject: Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest
From: "Birdpedia - Australia Info" <>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 00:05:05 +1030
The following is a digest of Sightings Reported on Birdpedia for the period
Monday, February 20, 2012 to Sunday, February 26, 2012:

Area: SA

Date: Monday, February 20, 2012

Location: Magpie Swamp Rd  Nr Tarpeena  SE

Brolga (Grus rubicunda) (30) 30 Brolga in sheep paddock on north side of road,
although this species seems to be generally present around this location anyone
looking for Brolga in SA stands a good chance of a sighting. Talked to farmer
who allowed me access to his paddock to get some photos, he seems quite
amicable to birders and would most likely know where the birds are.

Reported by: William Brooker on Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Date: Monday, February 20, 2012

Location: Price Saltfields

Eastern Curlew (Numenius madagascariensis) (8)

Whimbrel (Numenius phaeopus) (7)

Fairy Tern (Sterna nereis) (30)

Visit by Margie Tiller and Chris Thomas. Winds over 50 kph made viewing
difficult.

Reported by: Chris Thomas on Saturday, February 25, 2012

Date: Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Location: Pooginook Conservation Park

Malleefowl (Leipoa ocellata) (1) Malleefowl have not been seen in this reserve
for many years. I was surprised to see fresh diggings and footprints on an
older mound and then I saw a malleefowl about 15 metres away slowly walking
into the mallee. I checked another couple of old nest mounds a few kilometres
away and they had both been dug out in the last few days (since the last rain)
with fresh tracks and much activity. I do not know if this is from one or
several birds. Unfortunately there are many fox tracks in the park so predation
pressure will be high.

Reported by: Peter Jacobs on Sunday, February 26, 2012

Date: Thursday, February 23, 2012

Location: Thompsons Beach

Banded Stilt (Cladorhynchus leucocephalus) (1) 200 + Banded Stilts at Thompsons
Beach this morning along with 300 + Red Necked Stints 2 Grey Plovers, 50 Common
Green Shanks, 40 Ruddy Turnstones, 1 Great Knot.

Reported by: Kate Buckley on Thursday, February 23, 2012

Date: Sunday, February 26, 2012

Location: Point Sturt Peninsula (4.5 km east of Clayton-Milang Road)

Fork-tailed Swift (Apus pacificus) (90) Large flock observed during unstable
weather.They flew over in a westerly direction, at various heights between 10
and 100 metres.

Reported by: Nathaniel Doecke on Sunday, February 26, 2012

Date: Sunday, February 26, 2012

Location: Clayton Bay

Crested Shrike-tit (Falcunculus frontatus) (1) Single bird foraging in a Sugar
Gum, in garden adjacent to Island View Drive.This is my first sighting for the
area.

48 species recorded around Clayton in about an hour.

Reported by: Nathaniel Doecke on Sunday, February 26, 2012

Need more information about a sighting? Login and contact the poster directly.

Receive sightings via email or SMS immediately they are posted.

Not a member of Birdpedia? Membership is free and gives you access to
information for over 230 countries.

To sign up go to the Birdpedia Web Site (http://www.birdpedia.com/).

To find out more about Birdpedia and what it can do for you, see 'What is
Birdpedia?'