birding-aus

Possible Wandering Tattler, Long Reef, northern Sydney 26 Feb 2012

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Possible Wandering Tattler, Long Reef, northern Sydney 26 Feb 2012
From: "Tom and Mandy Wilson" <>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 22:07:14 +1100
Hi All
I visited Long Reef this afternoon on the low tide, partly wondering what I might see offshore. However, while it was still and calm at home in Turramurra, it was blustery at Long Reef, with a north-easterly blowing and some reasonable chop on the water. I spent about 60 minutes watching offshore and saw lots of brown shearwaters, mostly Wedge-tailed, one definite Flesh-footed (it was close enough to the reef that I could see the feet as it turned) and several Jaeger - at least one each of Pomarine and Arctic. These two, and other Jaegers that I couldn't positively ID, looked to be in quite clean plumage - would they be coming into breeding plumage now before heading northwards? There were one or two paler birds further out but the wind made working the scope at anything above its lowest magnification pretty hard, so no idea what they were.

On the reef itself, most of the shorebirds were on the south side out of the worst of the wind. There were lots of Golden Plover (at least 20), about the same number of Ruddy Turnstone, at least 8 Sooty Oystercatchers and a small (and very mobile) flock of about 30 Red Necked Stints. No other smaller waders were seen, including no Double banded Dotterels, although they could have been keeping themselves out of the wind as they have been showing up elsewhere along the coast.

In the jumbled rocks on the south side were at least 3 Grey-tailed Tattlers. Keeping closer to the water and looking much greyer and plainer was a 4th bird - it was right in amongst the rocks and I lost it after a couple of minutes and couldn't find it again. I did not hear the bird call, so this diagnostic did not present itself. However, its colouration, slightly chunkier looking bill, and shorter white eyebrows than the other 3 birds, together with its more solitary habits and preference for being closer to the water reminded me of the Wandering Tattlers that were present at the site this time last year, so it would be worth keeping an eye out if you are visiting the reef.

Cheers
Tom Wilson