birding-aus

Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest

To: <>
Subject: Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest
From: "Birdpedia - Australia Info" <>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 00:05:06 +1030
The following is a digest of Sightings Reported on Birdpedia for the period
Monday, February 6, 2012 to Sunday, February 12, 2012:

Area: SA

Date: Sunday, February 5, 2012

Location: Waterfall Gully

European Goldfinch (Carduelis carduelis) (1) A pair in dried native bracken in
Chambers Gully.

Reported by: Les Woods on Monday, February 6, 2012

Date: Monday, February 6, 2012

Location: Greenfields Wetlands, Magazine Road

Latham's Snipe (Gallinago hardwickii) (1) Opposite the bird hide, well
concealed in vegetation.

Glossy Ibis (Plegadis falcinellus) (5) In the same area.

Pink-eared Duck (Malacorhynchus membranaceus) (10) Originally nearer the main
road, flew to the bird hide lagoon.

With water at an intermediate depth, plenty of ducks and waders (including Wood
and Marsh Sandpipers).  No crakes or raptors were observed, however.

Reported by: Kevin Stracey on Monday, February 6, 2012

Date: Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Location: Yatala Vale Road, Tea Tree Gully

White-necked Heron (Ardea pacifica) (1) One White-necked Heron landed on a
house roof top and was continually harrassed by Magpies until flying off.
Unusual, I thought, to see this species in suburban Tea Tree Gully.

Reported by: Amanda Pearce on Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Date: Thursday, February 9, 2012

Location: Pooginook CP

Scarlet-chested Parrot (Neophema splendida) (1) Good view of a male bird. was
feeding on ground but when disturbed it sat on a branch in full view. First
sighting in this Reserve, although they have been seen this year in nearby
Reserves.

Striated Grasswren (Amytornis striatus) (1) My first sighting in over 20 visits
to this Reserve; I thought they were no longer in the Reserve but good seasons
and prolific growth of Triodia has brought the species back. Photo taken.

Elegant Parrot (Neophema elegans) (16) Many seen feeding on the ground (Triodia
seed?) and then sitting on branches of burnt trees. Only seem to be in back
section of reserve.

Reported by: Peter Jacobs on Friday, February 10, 2012

Date: Thursday, February 9, 2012

Location: Maslin Beach.

Black Falcon (Falco subniger) (1) A single bird with rather worn primaries but
apparently new secondaries circling just behind the cliffs at Maslin Beach and
causing much consternation in a flock of about 100 feral Rock Doves which
circled in a very tight group. It showed no interest in the doves, gained
considerable height on a southerly breeze and drifted slowly to the north.

New Holland Honeyeater (Phylidonyris novaehollandiae) (1) A leucistic bird in
the coastal shrubbery with a normal individual. The body, most of the head and
neck was white, while the flight and tail feathers greyish white but with the
normal brilliant yellow patches. The front of the head to the eye was smoky
grey with the normal white patches below the eye.The iris was the normal white
colour.
I would have thought this was very unusual but some time ago I reported a
Leucistic Singing Honeyeater at Encounter Bay which I haven't seen since so
perhaps they are not so unusual just short lived!

Reported by: Jeffrey Crocker on Thursday, February 9, 2012

Need more information about a sighting? Login and contact the poster directly.

Receive sightings via email or SMS immediately they are posted.

Not a member of Birdpedia? Membership is free and gives you access to
information for over 230 countries.

To sign up go to the Birdpedia Web Site (http://www.birdpedia.com/).

To find out more about Birdpedia and what it can do for you, see 'What is
Birdpedia?'