birding-aus

SLR without the mirror

Subject: SLR without the mirror
From: Chris Ross <>
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2012 13:26:52 +1100
Regarding the issue of shutter lag in compacts, a lot of that has to do with AF acquisition time, all compacts and mirrorless cameras use a contrast detection AF system utilising data from the sensor, that up until now that has been quite slow. Panasonic were the first to develop a contrast detection system that was a match for lower end DSLRs. DSLRs use a phase detection system for AF with a dedicated AF sensor which up until now has been leaps and bounds ahead of the contrast system in compacts. The latest Panasonic can shoot at 4 frames per second and has AF to match. They also have very good EVFs. Here's a review of the latest Panasonic:

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/digital-slrs-hybrids/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gx1-1044318/review?artc_pg=1

If you have a compact there are some things you can do to reduce lag, including activating options like continuous AF, so the lens is focusing at whatever it's pointed at not waiting for you to half press the shutter, not all cameras have the option of course. MF also reduces lag but it is normally so fiddly to activate it doesn't help much. The problem with the super zoom compacts is that the AF and image quality at the long end is a compromise, the lens is slow (about f5.9) at the long end and the image quality is a bit average. The other problem I believe is that they focus in steps, not continuously. This hidden at shorter focal lengths by the large Depth of field inherent in small sensor cameras, but not when DOF drops at large focal lengths. In fact theonly reason they do what they can as well as they can is the small sensor, it's a lot easier to design and build a compact lens that is sharp across 4mm x 6mm sensor than it is to get it harp across a full frame DSLR.

Nikon have also release a mirror-less "DSLR " the V1 that is reported to be very good with AF, though in Aus is is pricey and the sensor is quite small. It can use Nikon SLR lenses with an adapter that maintains full functionality.

One thing that is of interest for bird photography with micro 4/3 cameras like the Panasonic above is the availability of adapters for other lenses. Of particular interest is an adapter for the old Canon FD lenses, that system was orphaned 20 years ago and some excellent optical quality lenses can be picked up for a song. The beauty of the EVF with these lenses is that you use the MF assist system quite easily and it gets around the manual aperture on these lenses by allowing focus with the lens stopped down as the EVF automatically adjusts the brightness. Something like the Canon 500mm f4.5L lens which is a sharp as today's $10,000 EOS lens goes for about $1000 on Ebay, allowing you to get 1000mm effective focal length with superb optical quality for a song. I have one of these lenses from my film days and was using it adapted to my EOS DSLR until I upgraded recently to the Canon 500mm AF lens. I'll be trying to sell it soon as these new micro 4/3rds cameras have opened up a market for such a lens.

Chris Ross