birding-aus

Fork-tailed Swifts en masse in QLD.

To: <>, "Michael Tarburton" <>
Subject: Fork-tailed Swifts en masse in QLD.
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 13:04:15 +1000
Nothing like those numbers but this morning at a tree planting at Massey Creek east of Ravenshoe, Atherton Tablelands I observed a minimum of 60 WTNT, 550 FTSw and 150 unidentified swifts flying south over the period of just over and hour. Mostly they cam through in flocks of 10 to 40 with the largest flocks being about 60 birds. Nearly all the WTNT were in the first half hour of my observations as were the more distant flocks unidentified. One planter told me that the birds had been coming over from the north since he had arrived, an hour before I started noticing them.

The birds were heading south, skimming the ridge tops.

Near Whiting Road, Millaa Millaa, around midday I saw another 35 FTSW presumably feeding in a valley.

Regards,
Alan