birding-aus

SLR without the mirror

To: Carl Clifford <>
Subject: SLR without the mirror
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 20:58:39 +1100
Yes, but I think they'll get there. One advantage of an electronic viewfinder
is that you can magnify the image, or just the central portion, at the press of
a button. Because current EVF resolution is still way below that of the sensor,
this is possible without any interpolation.

I suspect 2x or 3x magnification might let you focus as accurately as a split
screen (just guessing), and they'll commonly let you go to 10x. Holding it
still enough to use that magnification is another matter. I've used it on a
tripod with the live preview on my DSLR, and it makes accurate focusing easy in
that situation.

I've also used it on my old Canon S3 compact superzoom with some success even
with its low resolution EVF, but just activating manual focus on that camera
was a difficult feat by itself.

Peter Shute