birding-aus

Balanagara ???

To: "'Graeme Stevens'" <>, <>, <>
Subject: Balanagara ???
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 17:46:07 +1100
Hello All,

About this: It is clear from David Stowe that the unsubscribing from their
email list does not unsubscribe from birding-aus. So please let go of that
one. That is just something in the way they have named their list.

I am not in any way associated with Balanagara (other than having
corresponded minimally about Lyrebird behaviour) but congratulate them on
their intent to make a film of the Lyrebird. To me, this promotional message
seems like a well targeted, nicely presented, generous and innovative
marketing and promotions of what hopefully will be a nice production on a
subject that I hope many of us would be interested in. It appears that
obtaining email addresses via birding aus (if that is what has happened and
I don't know how) is of concern and not the right thing to do, but given its
relevance to my interests, it is something I am more happy about than
bothered about.

I for one am disappointed and rather embarrassed by the negativity this
promotion has received. I expect the guidelines for birding-aus include that
it is not for primarily commercial purposes - though this is borderline such
a use. I do not see this as any worse (or even different) from people
advertising the dates, arrangements and costs of the next pelagic bird trips
or seeking sponsorship for bird twitching contest or telling us in an
encouraging way about the latest Hoopoe or Grey-headed Lapwing, in a way
that encourages us to spend vastly more money, if we wish to see it. And I
don't object to those messages either.

I am more concerned about what the film will say / show. If I ever get to
see the film I would happily review it as wonderful if it is, or if it is
crap or gives false information I would offer that opinion too. The message
so far is simply bringing to notice a new project and product and ask likely
people to maybe sponsor it. I would like to think that many of our community
who can do so, will sponsor it. It should promote bird knowledge and maybe
conservation, using a species that is by any standard a very special bird
that can add a lot to public awareness of birds.

Philip