birding-aus

Provenance of the ex-Siberian Thrush

To: <>
Subject: Provenance of the ex-Siberian Thrush
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 20:46:18 +1000
Not sure where or what the tug boat was doing before the bird was found in
it. But it is also possible that the thrush hopped onto the tug from any
ship that was already tied up in port, even if the tug did not assist them
into port.

Looking at the shipping lists for the Port of Esperance for that week
<http://www.esperanceport.com.au/shipping.asp> ships were being loaded with
cargo that were bound for Singapore and Chinese and Japanese ports. There's
no information where these ships had come from before arriving at Esperance,
but if one assumes that they are making return journeys to their ports of
origin, then all these ships potentially sailed southwards along the east
Asian coastline and/or between islands of South-east Asia, intersecting the
northern migration route of the Siberian Thrush.

Stephen Ambrose
Ryde NSW