birding-aus

Provenance of the ex-Siberian Thrush

To: "Stephen Ambrose" <>, "'Simon Mustoe'" <>, <>, <>
Subject: Provenance of the ex-Siberian Thrush
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 19:15:04 +1000
What isn't yet clear, to me anyway, is where the tug had been nor what it had been doing. Was it shepherding a ship into port, returning from assisting a departing vessel locally or from a longer voyage for whatever reason? What is clear is that the bird was damaged but otherwise in good condition, i.e. not fly-blown, rotten or degraded. Thus it was not long dead before found unless stored in a freezer. Ship assistance per se is not now regarded as a barrier to acceptance but deliberate carriage of course is. Maybe we should know more about the tugs movements. Tiger Shrike was added to the Australian list by Christidis & Boles after being found dead at another WA port and rather naughtily before acceptance by BARC, and as if to prove that decision was justified, has since been seen alive on Christmas Island, Ashmore Reef (twice) and Browse Island. I know of those records because I saw them all! There is no doubt as to the species identity and age, an immature male, but as to the subspecies, I couldn't say. What does seem odd to me is that a Siberian Thrush would not be in adult plumage by mid June but others suggest that the stress of being misplaced might have delayed its moult. Most vagrants are immature birds.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mount Eliza  VIC 3930
Tel  (03) 9787 7136