birding-aus

Question: 'Wing Projection' or 'Wing Point'?

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Question: 'Wing Projection' or 'Wing Point'?
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2011 11:35:00 +1000
I am looking for a term to use to refer to the extension of primary tips past
the tip of the tail.

Preferably the term should not cause any confusion with the extension of
primary tips past the tertials.

I am aware that “primary projection” is commonly used by many birders to
describe both extension of the primary tips past the tertials and extension of
the primary tips past the tip of the tail but this has been discussed on
BirdingAus in the past and has been considered by some learned birders to be
wrong.
That is, wrong when used to describe the extension of the primary tips past the
tip of the tail.
One term for the extension of the primary tips past the tip of the tail
suggested in that discussion was “wing projection”.
I have since discovered the term “wing point” to describe this condition in
“The Shorebird Guide”, O’brien, Crossley and Karlson, 2006.
In the Glossary of that publication “Wing Point” is described as “The degree to
which primaries project beyond the tail”.
This looks like what I want but I have been unable to find this term being used
in any other of my bird books.
Searching on Google only brings up subjects on real estate in the USA and
political discussions.

I ask members of the list to please share with me their ideas on which term is
best used to describe the extension of the primary tips past the tip of the
tail.

Personally I don’t favour “primary projection” but would be happy to use
whichever of the terms “wing projection” or “wing point” is favoured by a
majority.
My aim is to use a term which at least most birders can understand and accept.
I would, of course, be interested to see if there is another term which is
commonly used and accepted....and is correct.

Bob Inglis
Sandstone Point
Qld