birding-aus

SA News

To: "'David Kowalick'" <>, "'Birding Aus'" <>
Subject: SA News
From: "Paul Dodd" <>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 19:06:19 +1100
Hi David,

Birdline is an initiative of the various regional groups of Birds Australia
and is implemented by Richard and Margaret Alcorn of Eremaea. Unfortunately
Birds SA is not a regional group of Birds Australia, rather, they are an
independent group or association. See the following web sites - the first is
the Birds Australia regional groups site, and the second is the Birds SA
site:

http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/the-organisation/regional-groups.html

http://www.birdssa.asn.au/

You can debate to the end of the world about the politics of this and how it
came about. I know that Tim Dolby worked tirelessly with Birds Australia,
the Alcorns and the various regional groups around the country two or three
years ago to get the Birdlines set up in their current form. In recent times
a Birdline Australia and a Birdline Indonesia have been set up (I didn't
include the Birdline Indonesia in the weekly digests that have started going
to birding-aus).

You will also notice that there is no Birdline WA either, for various
reasons. Currently WA sightings are recorded on a section of Frank
O'Connor's web site, accessed through the Birds Australia site:

http://birdswa.org.au/sightings.htm

I am sure that it would not take Richard and Margaret long to set up a
Birdline SA or a Birdline WA, but they would need approval from Birds SA and
Birds WA.

Personally I would love to see both Birdline SA and Birdline WA to complete
the set. One of the reasons for working with Eremaea on things like RSS
feeds from Birdlines is to allow people to incorporate these sightings in
their own web sites (much as Simon Mustoe has done with his www.bird-o.com).
In doing so, I would hope that the sense of "ownership" of this information
is not lost by the regional group, but would still be shared by the greater
Australian birding community.

Perhaps if there is enough interest, the remaining regional groups and
independent organisations could be contacted with a view to setting up
nationwide Birdlines. These groups are set up for the benefit of members,
after all.

Paul Dodd
Docklands, Victoria