birding-aus

Shooting in NPs

To: "'Greg & Val Clancy'" <>, "'Peter Shute'" <>, "'Rob Geraghty'" <>, "'Birding-Aus'" <>
Subject: Shooting in NPs
From: "Paul Dodd" <>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 10:45:12 +1000
Thanks for this response, Greg. We seemed to have drifted from the salient
point - RECREATIONAL shooting in National Parks, rather than controlled
culling.

I am very much against recreational shooting or hunting of any species, as
should be obvious from my previous postings against duck hunting in Victoria
in 2009. Frankly I see the recreational killing of animals as a pointless
and cruel activity - an activity that should be left in the previous
century. Further, during the drought conditions in much of Australia
currently, there are other environmental and ecological reasons to disallow
such activities.

Whilst I am not a big fan of culling, I do understand that it is necessary,
provided it is done under controlled and supervised conditions. The NSW
government's decision to allow hunting of feral animals (not in National
Parks, incidentally) does not strike me as anything other than recreational
hunting by a different name - it is certainly not controlled or supervised
culling.

Paul Dodd
Docklands, Victoria