birding-aus

Shooting in NPs

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Shooting in NPs
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 10:25:43 +1000
Reminds me of a comment made by Harry Frith years ago when he was Chief of
the Div. of W'life Research of CSIRO.  There was public criticism of the
kangaroo shooting industry.  Dr Frith pointed out that the grazing industry
had covered much of Australia with artificial watering points which allowed
a huge build-up of kangaroo numbers beyond what had previously been the
situation.  Comes a severe drought and most of them starve to death.

"I'd rather be a 'roo killed with one clean shot through the head by a
professional roo shooter, than a 'roo dying of starvation in  a drought,"
said Harry.

Cheers

Syd