birding-aus

Spotting scopes

To: Brian Johnson <>, birding-aus <>
Subject: Spotting scopes
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 13:34:29 +1000
Brian,

May I take a different approach, and leave the models to others?

Many people are hard and fast believers in the fixed lens, but I have to differ. It is said that the fixed lens has greater definition, and I believe this was the case in the past far more than is the case now.

If you are ever to use the scope for shorebirds, I would really recommend that you buy a scope with a zoom lens. Beyond 40x is is relatively useless, mainly for image distortion, but also for colour distortion. However from zero to 40x it is very useful. I am forever zooming in on a single bird in a flock, then zooming out again to pan. If you are not interested in waterbirds, forget the above.

As for brand, how long is a piece of string? I haven't bought a scope for many years, but would dearly love to buy the new Zeiss which has an inbuilt digital camera, and is waterproof. I haven't dared to price it. I don't want to be tempted.

Swarovski and Leica make superb scopes. Kowa makes good scopes, and Carton makes adequate bottom-end scopes. I haven't seen anyone using a Carton for a long time.

Ask yourself if you will be travelling by plane with the scope. I find that to be the most irritating aspect of the lot. I want to take my main scope with me, but it is a heavy Kowa, and size and weight cost space and money. So I take my baby Kowa, which is a fool of a thing, but which is better than binos in many situations, and which is also extremely light. I wouldn't recommend it for your only scope.

Through-the-lens or angled eyepiece? Depends. If you are planning to share the viewing with others, the angled eyepiece is sociable, because people of different heights can share without inconvenient lowering of the scope (I am usually the tall one) for others to see, too. Good for a husband and wife who go birding together. I don't like angled eyepieces, because I get a crick in the neck over long periods. I like to stand straight to the eyepiece, facing straight at the flock. Which brings me to the tripod.

The tripod is critical to the success of the scope. As a general rule, the lighter the tripod, the shakier the image. I cart a hellishly heavy (well, certainly not light) Swarovski tripod all over the intertidal sandbanks doing shorebird and tern surveys, because it is solid enough to do what I need in moderate winds. In a strong wind, you can only do manage with the scope nailed down - no tripod can manage. A tripod without a windup centre piece is much better than those cheap ones with central windup posts. They shake and rattle, and don't go near them. You need a tripod whose legs extend right to the height you require.

If cost is a significant factor for you, consider that you will probably still be using this equipment in 10 or 20 years time, so it's best to buy the best you can afford.

I'll leave it to others to recommend brands and models. And good luck with your choice.

Cheers,

Jill
Jill Dening
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia

26° 51' 41"S	152° 56' 00"E

Brian Johnson wrote:
Can anyone recommend a brand, model, type etc of a spotting scope for a 1st-timer to buy? Any suggestions re power, range, zoom etc - all ideas gratefully received.
Brian Johnson
to: m("vicnet.net.au","birding-aus-request");">